Sword-attacker jailed for chopping man’s finger

Defendant sentenced in absentia over assault, causing permanent disability, threats on WhatsApp

Dubai: A salesman has been jailed for three years for cursing a jobless man and chopping his finger with a sword while he was defending his father from being assaulted.

The 55-year-old Emirati father received several voice messages on WhatsApp from the 27-year-old Iranian salesman, who threatened to kill him and cursed him in February 2017.

Following a number of WhatsApp messages and phone calls, the Emirati repeatedly asked the Iranian to stop calling him before the two indulged in a heated argument.

When the 55-year-old cursed the Iranian’s mother over the phone, the latter challenged the Emirati and asked to meet him.

The Iranian grouped up with seven of his friends and went to see the 55-year-old Emirati in Abu Hail area, where they assaulted him.

The Emirati’s son ran to rescue his father before the accused grabbed a sword and attacked the son.

The 21-year-old son tried to save his father from the sword attack and as a result his finger was chopped.

The Iranian and his friends fled from the scene after the attack on which the Emirati father informed the police about the incident.

The Iranian accused was apprehended in Umm Al Quwain.

On Sunday, the Dubai Court of First Instance convicted the defendant of assaulting the victim and causing him a 20 per cent permanent disability. He was also convicted of cursing the Emirati father and assaulting him.

Presiding judge Fahd Al Shamsi sentenced the accused in absentia.

According to the primary judgement, the accused will be deported after serving his punishment.

The Emirati father testified that the accused and his associates assaulted him and his son in the street.

“I had received a number of WhatsApp voice messages in which the suspect called himself the ‘King of Death’ … he repeatedly cursed me and threatened to kill me. He asked me to meet him so he could beat me … we met to see what was the problem at 9.30pm. He attacked me with a sword and my son lost his little finger when he tried to fend away the sword attack,” he told prosecutors.

The son seconded his father’s statement.

The defendant was quoted as telling prosecutors that he got angry and decided to meet the Emirati and assault him for cursing his mother over the phone.


Share This Post