Survivor says police shielding accused cow vigilantes

Samiyuddin also sent his first statement detailing about the incident to IG Meerut Range Ram Kumar, expressing his distrust on local police

New Delhi: Police are trying to weaken the Hapur lynching case at the behest of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Yogi Adityanath government, a witness and survivor of the June 18 murder allegedly by cow vigilantes said, after he was discharged from a hospital here on Saturday.

Survivor Samiyuddin also sent his first statement detailing about the incident to the inspector-general of Meerut Range, Ram Kumar, expressing his distrust in local police and asking for a judicial investigation into the murder of cattle trader Qasim in Hapur district.

On the fateful day, as he intervened to save Qasim, Samiyuddin was thrashed and is yet to recover from several injuries including fractures on both arms, his right leg and ribs.

“I have no faith on Pilkhua police station who deliberately failed to stop the bail granted to main accused Yudhishtir Singh. I have written to the inspector-general of Meerut Range requesting him for a transparent judicial inquiry,” Samiyuddin said.

Samiyuddin recalled how he was mercilessly beaten up by the group that lynched Qasim at Bajhera village in Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh, 75 km east of New Delhi.

“There is not a single place on my body where they did not hit. I was sure to die like Qasim but God saved me. The local police are now trying to weaken the case by giving a distorted version, of some motorcycle accident, because of the BJP and Yogi Adityanath government.

“The killers should get strictest punishment. And, immediate action should be taken against Pilkhua police station Circle Officer Pawan Kumar Singh and other staff who forced my brother Yaseen and family-friend Dinesh Tomar to file a false and incorrect FIR,” he said.

Samiyuddin said he was attacked after he intervened the mob that lynched Qasim accusing him of killing a cow when there was neither a cow nor any axe or knife to kill any animal. Soon he was bleeding from head to toe and was semi-conscious.

When the police took him and Qasim to nearby G.S. Medical College, he remembers somebody saying “Probably Qasim is dead”.

He also remembers being given injections at the hospital and his thumb prints taken on some papers of which he has no idea.

He was finally admitted at Devnandini Hospital at Hapur at about 7pm-8pm, around 12 kilometres from the place of incident that happened around noon.

He regained full consciousness after more than 24 hours. On July 6, he was shifted to Alshifa Hospital in Delhi.

His brother Yaseen and family-friend Dinesh Tomar, who also spoke to IANS, said the police kept misleading about his whereabouts till 5-5:30 in the evening when they were forced to write and sign a false FIR. They agreed as they were afraid of the police and also were more concerned about getting Samiyuddin timely treatment.

Both Yaseen and Tomar, too, have written separate statements to the Meerut Range Inspector General of Police sharing the “true and correct” narration of the incident. Copies of all three statements have been sent to the assistant director-general of Meerut Zone and S.P. Hapur.

All three have requested for their statements to be recorded in front of judicial magistrate.


Share This Post