Saudis shoot down Al Houthi missile

No casualties reported; Coalition says missiles are supplied by Iran


Riyadh: Saudi air defences intercepted a ballistic missile fired towards the capital Riyadh on Tuesday but there were no reports of casualties, the Saudi-led coalition said, the latest missile attack by the Iran-aligned Al Houthi militia.

“Coalition forces confirm intercepting an Iranian-Al Houthi missile targeting (the) south of Riyadh. There are no reported casualties at this time,” the government-run Centre for International Communication wrote on its Twitter account.

The attack happened hours before Saudi Arabia was due to announce the country’s annual budget in a news conference.

Reuters witnesses described hearing a blast and said they saw smoke in the north-east of Riyadh. Shrapnel from the explosion was found in different neighbourhoods of Riyadh, however no injuries or damages were reported, according to Al Arabiya network.

Saudi Arabia said on November 4 it had intercepted a ballistic missile over Riyadh’s King Khaled Airport, in an attack that provoked a strong reaction from the kingdom.

Riyadh accused Iran of smuggling the missile to Al Houthis. The Trump Administration has tried to use the accusations of weapons transfers to intensify international pressure on Iran.

Last week the United States presented for the first time pieces of what it said were Iranian weapons supplied to Al Houthis, describing it as conclusive evidence that Tehran was violating UN resolutions. Yemen’s civil war, nearing the end of its third year, has become part of the broader struggle between Saudi Arabia and Iran for regional influence.

Al Arabiya reported that Al Houthis have been firing missiles towards Saudi residential areas, specifically in the capital, as Iran continues to supply the militia with more launching platforms for these kinds of missiles.

— Agencies

0

Share This Post