Miyako Akai brings the Japanese craft all the way from Japan to teach young visitors at Sharjah International Book Fair
Children at the workshop were given little miniaturebook kits that contained tiny rectangles of colourful handmade paper, a threaded needle and abook of instructions. They personalised their creations with their favourite designs.
Sharjah: Youngsters are learning the Japanese craft of miniature book-making at the 37th Sharjah International Book Fair.
Miyako Akai, winner of the prestigious Miniature Book Competition Award in 2016, has brought her wonderful craft of miniature book-making all the way from Japan to teach young visitors at the fair.
On Wednesday, a workshop saw a huge participation from children who were eager to learn the craft. The children were given little miniature book kits that contained tiny rectangles of colourful handmade paper, a threaded needle and a book of instructions.
After the instructor presented the demo, workshop participants got to work. They folded the sheets, made a perfect hole in the middle of the spine and stitched it up with the needle and thread.
Once the books were ready, they personalised their creations with their favourite designs.
The 37th edition of the book fair has over 20 million books on sale and 1,800 cultural and entertainment activities. It runs until November 10 at Expo Centre Sharjah, under the theme ‘Tale of Letters’.
The fair’s calendar of events spans across several themes, including cultural shows, Japanese programmes, kids’ activities, social media activities, and the cookery corner.
SIBF at a glance
• 1.6 million titles, including 80,000 new books
• 1,800 cultural and entertainment activities
• 470 authors, poets and artists from all over the world
• Over 1,800 publishing houses from 77 countries
• 200 book-signing ceremonies by authors
• What: Sharjah International Book Fair 2018
• Where: Expo Centre Sharjah
• When: October 31 to November 10
• Free entry for all people
• Timings: 9am to 10pm daily (Fridays 4pm to 11pm)
• More info: www.sibf.com