Israeli sniper shoots dead another Palestinian

Shooting comes just a few days after 21-year-old Palestinian medic Razan Al Najjar was murdered

TOPSHOT – A Palestinian protester holds a tear gas canister in his mouth during a demonstration along the border with Israel east of Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza strip on June 4, 2018. / AFP / SAID KHATIB


Occupied Jerusalem: Israeli occupation soldiers shot and killed a Palestinian protesting on Gaza’s border with Israel on Monday.

The Israeli military claimed he was holding an axe.

The shooting comes just a few days after Israeli snipers shot dead a 21-year-old Palestinian medic Razan Al Najjar.

She was the 119th Palestinian killed since the protests began in March, according to Gaza health officials.

No Israelis have been killed in the protests.

On Saturday, a group of United Nations agencies issued a statement expressing outrage over the killing of “a clearly identified medical staffer,” calling it “particularly reprehensible.”

The Israeli military has provided no explanation for the shooting but said Saturday that the case would be examined.

The weeks of protests, called the Great Return March, aim to draw attention to the 11-year blockade by Israel and Egypt of the coastal territory and to press refugee claims to lands taken by Israel when it was established in 1948.

Most of those killed during the protests have been shot by Israeli snipers, half in a single day, May 14, the peak of the campaign.

The United Nations and human rights groups have accused Israel of using excessive force against the unarmed protesters.

On Friday, a UN Security Council resolution condemning Israel for using “excessive, disproportionate and indiscriminate force” against Palestinians failed when it was vetoed by the United States, a chief ally of Israel.

Gaza has been under crippling Israeli-imposed blockade since 2007 creating the world’s largest open-air prison where unemployment and poverty are rampant.

Making an abysmal situation even worse, Israel announced last week it had begun working on a barrier off the Mediterranean coast.

It claims the barrier is necessary to prevent the possibility of infiltrations by sea from the Gaza Strip.

The ministry said the breakwater – the first of its kind in the world – was expected to be ready by the end of 2018.

Palestinians decried the move as a further attempt to suffocate them.

0

Share This Post