Eight youth arrested after rape video goes viral

Patna: Eight boys in Bihar were arrested on Sunday after a video that showed a girl being gang-raped went viral on social media.

The girl and her family have left the village and the police don’t know about their whereabouts. Police are now searching for the girl so that a case can be registered.

The arrest of the alleged attackers come two months after the incident took place in the Manpur locality of Gaya district, around 100km south of Patna.

Police said the victim went to meet her boyfriend in a partially constructed house outside the village when some youths found out about their rendezvous. They went to the spot, held the boy hostage and gang-raped the girl. According to the police, around 10 youths were involved.

The accused filmed a video of the crime before fleeing the scene, warning the girl that they would upload the video on social media if she reported the case to anyone.

The video was uploaded on social media and soon went viral eventually reaching the local police. It was only then that the police swung into action and arrested eight of the 10 accused.

“We acted fast soon after getting the video and have arrested eight youths in connection with the incident. The remaining two accused persons too will be caught soon,” Gaya’s district senior superintendent of police Rajiv Mishra told the media on Monday. The police have registered a case based on the video footage.

In July, a grade 10 school girl was allegedly gang-raped by 10 students in the West Champaran district. The victim was returning home from her government school when the accused overpowered her at a deserted area, took her to a sugarcane field and raped her. According to the victim, her attackers threatened her with dire consequences if she revealed the rape to anyone and fled the scene after she fainted during the course of the crime.

The matter came to light when she stopped going to school and her parents asked why she was skipping classes. It was only then that the parents came to know about the incident and reported it to the local police.


Share This Post