Duo cleared of burgling 2 villas and Dh277,000 theft

Court acquits them of stealing cash and valuables because of insufficient evidence

Dubai: Two men were cleared of forcing their way into two vacant villas after midnight and stealing around Dh277,000 worth of jewellery and other valuables.

The Chinese men, aged 30 and 27, armed themselves with a hammer, a screwdriver and a crowbar and broke into an Emirati businessman’s villa in Al Barsha and stole Dh147,000 worth of jewellery and valuables in May 2015.

Then they drove to Arabian Ranches in June 2015, broke into the villa of a businesswoman, who was away, and stole Dh130,000 worth of valuables.

Following his wife’s demise, the Emirati businessman was believed to have moved tentatively to live in another emirate and his villa was burgled during that period.

Upon his return to his villa, the businessman’s cleaner and housemaid were the first to discover that a thief or more had broken into the place, wrecked the safe and stole valuables and jewellery from it.

Shortly after the Emirati reported the matter to the police, a number of other similar burglaries were also reported.

In another complaint, a businesswoman reported that her villa at Arabian Ranches was burgled.

Police investigation revealed that two Chinese men had been involved in the two heists.

The Chinese duo were identified for their involvement in heists that had been carried out earlier using the same modus operandi.

The Dubai Court of First Instance acquitted the two suspects in the two heists due to lack of corroborated evidence.

The two men had pleaded innocent during trial.

“We were not present in the UAE at the time when the heists happened,” the 30-year-old contended in court.

A police lieutenant said: “During questioning, the suspects admitted that they drove a rented car to Al Barsha and Arabian Ranches and looked out for empty villas to rob. They claimed that they climbed the two villas’ walls, used the crowbar, hammer and screwdriver to break into the residences and steal from safes.”

The businesswoman testified to prosecutors that she found footprints when she returned to her villa at 8.45pm.

Presiding judge Urfan Omar decided on Thursday that the evidence were insufficient to indict the suspects.

The ruling remains subject to appeal.


Share This Post